1/20/10

Thankful Thursday



His Eye Is On The Sparrow
This song has been on my mind. So I looked up the lyrics. You can read about it on Wikipedia here, and complete lyrics are here.

It's basis in the word comes from these scriptures...
Matthew Chapter 6:26 26 Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Chapter 10:29-31. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.


It was written by Civilla Durfee Martin, a Canadian, born 21 Aug 1869. She married Dr. Walter Martin, an evangelist. This is her account of the writing of the song:

Early in the spring of 1905, my husband and I were sojourning in Elmira, New York. We contracted a deep friendship for a couple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle—true saints of God. Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for nigh twenty years. Her husband was an incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from his business in a wheel chair. Despite their afflictions, they lived happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle’s reply was simple: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." The beauty of this simple expression of boundless faith gripped the hearts and fired the imagination of Dr. Martin and me. The hymn "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was the outcome of that experience. -- Civilla Martin

Here are part of the lyrics.

His Eye Is On The Sparrow
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain:
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I'm so very thankful that He watches over me. It makes all the difference, and it's true, He is a constant friend.

Lynn over at Spiritually Unequal Marriage is hosting this weeks Thankful Thursday. If you want, you can read about her "ratty mess", LOL, and other TT posts too.

10 comments:

  1. I never knew that!!! Thank you for sharing, it could very well be my song, too, right this moment. God bless you mightily!
    Please see mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Tammy,
    I can't tell you how blessed I am by this post, I have always enjoyed this song. The scripture you have shared has always meant so much to me.
    Thank you for sharing the story of how the song was written. I always enjoy reading of how a song came into being. What a wonderful way for me to start my day.
    Thank you for your prayers and sweet words of encouragement.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. you never know how much this post was used by our Lord to speak to me right now. The verses up there seems to glow. and I can now say yes Lord I do not have to worry because you watches over me.

    Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I love hearing the stories behind the songs..used to read all about Fanny Crosby when I was younger and was always inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful too that God is always watching over me. I also love that hymn! It has some awesome words!

    Hope you're having a wonderful week!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy,

    I haven't ever heard the history of this song. What a neat thing to share. I love this song and it is one I bet you and I sing together in heaven one day. AWESOME...

    Beautiful post for TT. See you again next week, Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post as always sis. You are talented at this. Keep blessing us with your talents. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post! Thank God for His care for the sparrow and His care for me. Mathew 10:31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to write. Tammy